Sunday, October 12, 2008

My Dirty Piece of Rome


Even though it was a confident late night ebay purchase followed by a flood of regret, I couldn't help but feel the excitement by the arrival of my lot of uncleaned Ancient Rome coins today. Snugly packaged in manila and masking tape they sat suffocating in 1,500 years of dirt build up. Immediately I bathed them in soap and warm water followed by a toothbrush scrub and rinse. To my satisfaction stamped faces are visible on all five coins along with other details that show clearly in good light. This trip isn't over yet though, right now they sit soaking for another three days in olive oil that precedes another round of rinsing, scrubbing and detailing. Pictures will be up soon. I'm such a coin collector now.


For the confused see my last entry.

No comments: